Sunday, October 31, 2021

CORNISH: SS-3 Modded Diode-Compression Opamp

Details of this project can be found here - as I started with a modded Pete Cornish SS-2 using the Joe Davvisson diode-compression op-amp, and then moved on to this.  Essentially the same as the SS-2, but with the addition of a lo-cut.  

After a bit of testing, I’d suggest a C50k for the sustain pot, followed by B50k, and A50k if you have none of the previous.


CORNISH SS-3 WITH DIODE-COMPRESSION OP-AMP - VERO LAYOUT

CORNISH SS-3 MODDED WITH DIODE-COMPRESSION OPAMP - VERO LAYOUT


The layouts works - I added a buffer on top of this build.  

CORNISH SS-3 WITH DIODE-COMPRESSION OP-AMP - VERO LAYOUT BUILD PHOTO




1 comment:

  1. Otherwordly work Andy¡¡¡ I am spechless, since 2000 something or so I have readed glimpses of the joe davison discrete opamps but never put the atention on it¡¡¡ I dont know that this could be made,
    I have several questions, what differences do you hear on the "discrete" version vs opamp? its very attractive to me the idea, I always fell that the fuzzs that are usualyy discrete, have an inherent more organic character than the usual opamp overdrive.. its a very personal perception, of course... also are different circuits...
    The values of the components are the same of the original opamp version? Im not talking about conscious mods..
    Your boxed builts are great, very neat and clean, cornish style¡¡¡ I like that¡¡ What enclosures do you use? what size? do you use a particular ground scheme? I like the rg keen ideal of grounds (all the grounds to a point on the board, no switching power on input jack, output jack isolated, the enclosure only touch the ground on input sleeve)
    The transistors have to be of a certain hfe? have to be matched? how is noisewise?
    I am going to try this built, since many years I am wanting to try this ss2-3 overdrive and with this discrete layout I am even more determined...
    Thanks for your time
    Best regard

    ReplyDelete