Saturday, July 9, 2022

MI AUDIO: Discrete V2 Crunch Box

I'd already done the Blues Breaker in this format, and it sounded pretty good, so I thought why not try the MI Audio Crunch Box, as it's a high-gain derivative of the Blues Breaker.  

They have a similar topology - the Crunch Box has the soft clipping diodes removed and hard clipping LEDs added after the op-amps.  The LEDs probably just round things out a little, as the second op-amp is clipping hard. 

It looks pretty similar to the opamp version on LTspice, but with a bit less gain (which for me might be preferred).   I hope to get a slightly more dynamic distortion out of this compared to the stock MI Audio Crunch Box.  The stock Crunch Box is not really my kind of thing.

Untested at present - this is a future build file for me.  Try it if you want, but who knows what it will be like at this stage.


MI AUDIO CRUNCH BOX V2 - DISCRETE OPAMP VERO LAYOUT

MI AUDIO CRUNCH BOX V2 - DISCRETE VERO LAYOUT


MI AUDIO CRUNCH BOX V2 - DISCRETE OPAMP - SCHEMATIC

MI AUDIO CRUNCH BOX V2 - DISCRETE OPAMP - SCHEMATIC


5 comments:

oliolio said...

I finished putting this together but I'm getting a very weak signal. I've been going over the schem but I think I need fresh eyes so I'll come back to it later and let you know if I can get it goin!

oliolio said...

While I was putting it away I noticed a capacitor was cracked so I replaced it and voila! sounds great and can go from clean boost to gnarly metal distortion. Theres just a bit too much high end, I can't tell if its fine or not, so I may do something like increase the 100pf cap on the gain pot and see if that does anything

Andrew said...

They presence trimmer hasn't helped? I'd try to increase the 100pf C9

oliolio said...

470pf sounds good to my ears, thanks!

Andrew said...

Nice - great to hear that you have it all up and running and sounding good.