Wednesday, October 4, 2023

COLORSOUND: Fuzz Straight

I saw this pop-up today at Macari's and thought I'd check it out.  It's a silicon fuzz face variant used as the fuzz board in one of the old Colorsound fuzz wahs - which is not completely unlike the Colorsound Fuzz Box one knob fuzz (which I used for the layout).

It's a great sounding, if not somewhat standard fuzz face variant, but I think the magic here is the volume swell - which will be lost unless you uses a wah enclosure or plug in an expression pedal.

Here's the thread on FSB that includes the schematic At first I thought it was wrong, and someone had a couple of resistors the wrong way around, but then I double checked a few photos, and it is indeed correct.


COLORSOUND FUZZ STRAIGHT





3 comments:

  1. Hi, can you help me a bit and share some info on the transitors you used on your test build(s), thanks. According to the video the reissue uses the usual suspects from BC10X family but I might be wrong and the vintage versions of the Wah Fuzz use wider variety of transistors so I'm a bit puzzled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jukka,

      They used different transistors over time, as a lot of transistors will work and sound the same.

      Try BC183C, BC109C, even a plain old 2N3906. Sometimes a mix of a lower gain and higher gain transistor works well.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I think I'll socket those and do a bit of testing :)

      Delete