Saturday, October 16, 2021

DAN ARMSTRONG: Blue Clipper, with Diode Compression OpAmp

After the previous post for the Dan Armstrong Red Ranger, I thought I might do layouts for the rest of the series, starting with the Blue Clipper - I then got sidetracked, and now I'm looking at a Blue Clipper using Joe Davisson's diode-compression opamp.  

I had to change the bias from the original values of the Blue Clipper on the positive input of the opamp to get it to work (update: as it turns out the values on the online schem were wrong).  

The 33n cap at the end of the signal chain is rolling off a lot more high frequencies than I'm normally happy with as well - that will change at some stage.  There's a fair chance this will evolve into something resembling a Distortion + / Pete Cornish SS-2 with mods.  I have the SS-2 version running on LTspice and a layout ready to go.


note:  I did end up turning this into a SS-2, so the Blue Clipper using a diode-compression opamp project will not progress any further, as I'm happy with the SS-2.   


DAN ARMSTRONG BLUE CLIPPER WITH DIODE COMPRESSION OPAMP


DAN ARMSTRONG BLUE CLIPPER WITH DIODE COMPRESSION OPAMP SCHEM




No comments:

Post a Comment