Tuesday, January 4, 2022

EARTHQUAKER DEVICES: Hizumitas Fuzz Sustainar

The Earthquaker Devices Hizumitas is basically the same as the Elk Sustainar, but with a 3n3 cap instead of a 330pf cap in the tone control (specifically the high pass filter).  There are some other minor differences, but the 3n3 is probably the biggest factor in terms of sound.  

Even though the EQD Hizumitas is based on the Elk Sustainar, the Elk was based on a 1972 #2 Triangle BMP.  Check out the schematic on Kit Rae's site, and note the similarities.  

So with all the hype surrounding this release, this is actually much closer to an EHX Triangle Big Muff from 1972 than it is an Elk Sustainar.   


Update:   After a few weeks away, I finally got around to finishing this and trying it out.  I don’t like it.  Too much bass for me, and I didn’t find that it had much range.   


EARTHQUAKER DEVICES HIZUMITAS FUZZ SUSTAINAR - VERO LAYOUT

EARTHQUAKER DEVICES HIZUMITAS FUZZ SUSTAINAR - VERO LAYOUT


Of course, I started building only to discover I have no 82k and 8.2k resistors…  3n3 cap is not soldered on at present, as I want to test some different values.

EARTHQUAKER DEVICES HIZUMITAS FUZZ SUSTAINAR - VERO CIRCUIT PHOTO


EQD HIZUMITAS SCHEMATIC

EARTHQUAKER DEVICES HIZUMITAS SCHEMATIC


TEARDOWN BY GRAYBENCH




HIZUMITAS VIDEO DEMO



3 comments: