Saturday, July 20, 2024

Cable Lacing

Ok - next level nerd alert.  Apart from being distracted by valve amp related things, I’ve recently started to use cable lacing to keep the wires looking tidy.  Cable lacing was how it was done before cable ties appeared, and I believe it's still used in some areas of aeronautics and space programmes.  

Sure you can use cable ties, or you could waste time away doing this instead.



I am by no means pro at this yet, but hopefully with a bit of practice I'll get faster and better at it - or give up and go back to cable ties...   







6 comments:

  1. I quite like this Cable Lacing, but I don't do it this way myself. I prefer to pack everything into a case the size of a 1590A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with that approach Ding - if it works, it works.

      Delete
    2. I recently got several tens of meters of 17AWG wire for free, which I used for AUDIO JACK sockets, DC sockets, potentiometers, and TRUE BYPASS connections. Their diameter is much larger than usual, but I found that there is no difference—there's neither loss nor upgrade. Does the diameter of the wire have no effect on the tone of the guitar?

      Delete
    3. Guitar signals are very low voltage and low current. In a pedal, as long as the cable can handle the voltage and current requirements, it will be fine. A large wire will not sound different, but it will be harder to work with. A very thin wire might still do the job, but they can also be hard to work with and break easily.

      Cables used for guitar leads are a little different, as there are more factors to consider, including capacitance, durability etc.

      Delete
  2. Holy cow man! Next level of beauty (and patience 😂😂) glad you are still here (even if you now talk mostly about amps) you are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - yeah, I'm still alive and kicking. Still building pedals, just learning about building valve amps at the moment.

      Delete