Saturday, July 11, 2020

ELECTRO-HARMONIX: Version 2, Ram's Head Big Muff, 1973 #3, Point to Point Layout

I think this is my favourite Electro-Harmonix Big Muff.  I built this using vintage 2N3565 glob top resistors and opted for some large vintage ceramic capacitors where possible (mainly for looks).

Sounds great - the lower gain vintage transistors do change the tone and feel to some degree.  Of course it still sounds like a Big Muff, it's just a bit creamier.

Like all things Big Muff related, the schematic can be found on Kit Rae's extensive big muff page.   Or you can try a simulation that I made here on CircuitLab it's not perfect, but it's fun to play with (at least until they lock you out for not having a paid account).

Of course being a standard Big Muff, you can build any standard 4 transistor muff using this layout.

ELECTRO-HARMONIX 1973 RAM'S HEAD #3 BIG MUFF POINT TO POINT LAYOUT

RAMS HEAD BIG MUFF POINT TO POINT LAYOUT VERO P2P


If you prefer something not so wide, this should work just fine.

electro-harmonic rams head big muff point to point layout

4 comments:

  1. I made Big Muff RAM's head 1973 for the first time.
    I did not know that it was so COOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've built and owned a few Big Muffs, this is definitely my favourite.

      Delete
  2. I made BIG muff triangle 1972 last month.Ram's head and triangle are good good great.I'll make 47 muff soon.But kind of 0.47uf ceramics cap is little.
    I'll use kemet 0.47uf cap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice, I saw your build on Guitar FX Layouts. Good luck with the 47.

      http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Big-Muff-Triangle-1972-original-plus-tp49077.html

      Delete