Sunday, August 30, 2020

DINOSAURAL: Tube Bender

The Dinosaural Tube Bender from Dan Coggins of Lovetone fame, who now designs for Thorpy FX.  The Thorpy Fat General compressor is actually a Dinosaural OTC-201 Opticompressor.  You can read up on that here.

This is the most recent trace from Aion Electronics.   Aion do a pretty good job of tracing to say the least, so I expect it to be accurate.   

This is different to the magazine version schematic, which has the same topology but with some different values.  I built one based on the magazine version a while back, and binned it pretty quickly - couldn't work out what the fuss was about, as it was rather disappointing.  

I've built and tested this version, and it's nice little overdrive.  Runs from very clean, right through to a heavy drive, with a some very usable tones along the way.

The Aion Electronics includes a tone switch mod for more variety, and a bit more power filtering and protection.  I'd recommend building the Aion version, as you get more flexibility for limited additional cost and effort.

  

DINOSAURAL TUBE BENDER - VERO LAYOUT

DINOSAURAL TUBE BENDER VERO LAYOUT


AION ELECTRONICS WYVERN - VERO LAYOUT

AION ELECTRONICS WYVERN - VERO LAYOUT
note cut under 100 ohm resistor



BUILD PROGRES PIC

This is prior to adding power caps, diode and pots etc - just added enough parts to get it working on the scope.  

I used 2N5088 transistors, which are flipped compared to the layout for BC549's   LIke any build, always check your transistor pinouts.  Always...   

Dinosaural tone bender progress pic


DINOSAURAL TUBE BENDER ON THE SCOPE

Input signal:  440hz sine wave, approx 130mv TRMS


Gain 0% Q4



Gain 50% Q4



Gain 100% Q4



Gain 100% Q4, 3n3 capacitor (Tone 3), Tone switch off



Gain 100% Q4, 10n capacitor (Tone 1), Tone switch off




3 comments:

  1. A really good pedal. Thanks for the stripboard. I've not get to play it much, but it sounds really nice !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem - It's kind of an odd one for me in some ways. Lots of very usable tones, and will sit nicely in a mix, but for some reason it just didn't excite me. Seems to be more workhorse than show pony if that makes sense.

      Delete
    2. I see what you mean, yes. I must say that I listened a bit some songs of the Snow Patrol's album to know where I was going with this, but didn't expect a thing from it.
      I played it more this afternoon, and it's very versatile. I got plenty of good tones out of it. We'll see in the long run, I tend to change my pedalboard often.

      Delete