Saturday, October 24, 2020

PETE CORNISH: NG-3 Fuzz

This has now been traced by Aion FX - it turns out the NG-3 is very different to the NG-2.  Miles apart...  

While this still makes for a decent fuzz, it's NOT a NG-3.  Layouts have been removed for this reason.  

Here's the link to the trace


The Pete Cornish NG-3 is pretty much the NG-2 with the trimmer to bias the last stage placed externally - which is a great addition, even if the knob count starts to get a little high.

The front end is the first section of the Cornish G-2 (a low-gain Big Muff with germanium diodes), and the last stage is a Fuzz Face variant.  

This should be built with the usual Cornish buffer, running buffered bypass.  Hardly the end of the world if you opt to use a standard unbuffered true bypass.   

As I've never seen a schematic for the NG-3, this is my work-a-like.  I've used a 25k pot as the bias pot in my builds, as I preferred the range.  I have had someone else say that they preferred the 50k, and another used a 20k pot without issues.  Either way, it's best to have a low-value resistor at the end of the range to stop the circuit from completely turning off - I use 4k7 for this, 8.5k has also been reported as a good value.  



14 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I am going definitely to builD this ng2-3 layout that you did. I am interested in this last ng3 layout , its verified? I understand that this not inlcude the cornish buffer in front, its something that I have to do by myself
    Other question, you drew this layout its based on the nugget fuzz of pedalpcb?
    Thnkas for your time
    Best regard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. Yes it works. It’s based on the nugget fuzz on PedalPCB.

      You don’t have to add the buffer, but I would recommend using it and wiring this as buffered bypass.

      It’s a monster of a fuzz. Good luck.

      Delete
    2. I only wants the buffer to put in front of the circuit when engaged, not for the bypass. For what I have read, this is crucial for this cornish pedals to sound right, I mean the buffer in front of the effect all the time, is part of the sound..
      Damnit¡¡¡ I just saw that you have an updated layout¡¡¡ I dont know what to choose, I like it more the last one in what the connection to pots are closer together, but the split conections of the bias pot bugs me a little, I will look if there is a way to put together...
      In any case thank you very much Andy¡¡¡ super nice work¡¡¡¡

      Delete
    3. I going for this last layout, its more clean and neaty for the pot wires and the "splitted" bias pot connections can be "solved" easy, one cut and a bridge and voila¡...One last thing, its verified this last layout or I will be the first??
      Thanks again¡¡ I owe you a cold one (or several)

      Delete
    4. Hello.

      The last layout is not verified , as I haven’t built it yet. As you can see, it’s just a variation on the first layout that is verified.

      If you are unsure, just check it against the schematic, which should not be hard to do. It sounds like you are competent enough to do this, if you know how to move the bias around. Let me know if you want the DIYLC file to play with. Email guitarverop2p (at) gmail dot com

      The buffer is not essential for this one. I think that conversation is more around the near impossible to get sounding good with stock values G2. The buffer helps a little there.

      I don’t mind using buffered bypass, as it’s what Pete uses and I’m yet to have issues with switch noise with this method.

      If you like Cornish - try the SS series or the CC-1.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Andy!! Last question, which hfe did you use?
    Thanks for all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello - I never measured the hfe, and it's probably not very important for something like this. I used BC549C transistors.

      Delete
  3. Hello, one question, the 12 row in the first layout is unused is itsnt??
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct. You could make the layout a row shorter if you wanted to.

      Delete
  4. So, if a use the buffer in front of this, the 1 meg input resistor is not necesary, right??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello - correct, it will not make any difference if you have a buffer in front.

      Delete
  5. Hi,Andy.
    I built NG-3 by your Layout with Buffer .
    It's very fat great sound.
    I like it very much!
    I post it to my HP.
    Thank you for your idea.
    http://solderholic.html.xdomain.jp/img/file116.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to help Solderholic. I hope all is well in Japan - I can’t wait to visit Japan again. It has to be my favourite place in the world apart from my own home.

      Delete