Wednesday, July 21, 2021

REVOX: A77 Input Amplifier Clean Boost, Overdrive / Light Fuzz

This is the input amplifier from a Revox A77 reel to reel (circa ~ 1967) - which also happens to be almost identical to the mic preamp in Trident A-Range mixing consoles from the early seventies.

So far out of the preamps that I've been working on, which is the Neve, RCA and this, I'm happiest with this one.  Apart from sounding cool, it also retains a pretty flat response, and could be used as an "always on" sweetener.  I was probably just hearing very light distortion, but I did prefer the tone of my guitar with this on running clean, rather than off.  It felt a bit more forward and bigger sounding.

It’s very very loud - tons of output level available.  This could happily be described as a clean boost as well as an overdrive / light fuzz.  

Due to the insanely high output, I think this is a good candidate for some form of High or low pass filter for some tone shaping.  If you’re using it to smash another pedal or front end of an amp, some bass cut might be handy.   Note that on the highest gain setting (which is fuzzy), it does roll-off high and low frequencies.

The original uses silicon transistors, I've used Japanese 2SD128 germanium transistors, which are usually around 40hfe.    




REVOX A77 INPUT AMPLIFIER SCHEMATIC


REVOX A77 INPUT AMPLIFIER SCHEMATIC



Note the switching used to set impedance and recording (gain) levels.  As I was aiming for boost and fuzz, the resistor switch on the input has been removed on my layout.  The fixed resistors controlling gain have been replaced with a pot.



TRIDENT MIC PREAMP SECTION FOR COMPARISION


TRIDENT MIC PREAMP SECTION FOR COMPARISION

REVOX A77 INPUT AMPLIFIER FREQUENCY RESPONSE

On the highest gain setting, high and low frequencies roll-off.  It's very flat elsewhere.


The output is very high, and the overdrive / fuzz does not occur until the last couple of hundred ohms when resistance to ground is heading towards zero (hence the reverse log pot)


my notes from spice re the schematic above:   
  • input cap can be 1u without effect response
  • 1u output cap only has slight low frequency roll-off, even with a 5k volume pot
  • decrease C4 to 10u to roll-off low frequencies
  • increase C2 to increase high frequencies
  • decrease R8 to reduce fuzz
  • C6 can be smaller (down to 10u)
  • C5 can be removed, or increased to boost treble from 8k / 10k
  • R5 can be removed for a very slight gain boost
There are so many variables, I haven't show the LTspice results here, or it would be a very lengthy post.  

REVOX A77 INPUT AMPLIFIER - CLEAN BOOST / OVERDRIVE / LIGHT FUZZ


REVOX A77 INPUT AMPLIFIER - CLEAN BOOST / OVERDRIVE / LIGHT FUZZ





REVOX A77 INPUT AMPLIFIER - CLEAN BOOST / OVERDRIVE / LIGHT FUZZ






Work in progress on the bench - as you can see, it's the mojo layout (also know as the unnecessarily large version).   Approx 65mm x 40mm on 0.15" vero with 1w carbon film resistors


And it’s boxing day - using my ‘spare no expense’ cardboard box wiring rig to get the spacing right before finishing it off in the enclosure.  






It’s not the greatest looking, but I do like the sound.   Really really loud by the way.


ON THE SCOPE / FFT

caution re audio levels - start low.  This is bench test of my build.

 

 



   

5 comments:

  1. Do you happen to remember the gain range of the Ge transistors you used? I'd like to give a Ge version a shot, but most of my NPNs are lower hFE. If it works better with higher hFE Ge's, maybe I'll try a Sziklai or Darlington pair.

    I've got a Si version of this on the breadboard at the moment and did some digging to find the bins & hFE specs of the original transistors for reference:
    - Q1 BC179B hFE: 240-500 (Low-Noise)
    - Q2 BC108B hFE: 200-450
    - Q3 BC109C hFE: 420-800 (Low-Noise)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. I used 2SD128 transistors, typically about 40hfe.

      Delete
  2. Hi. I made the revox A77 input preamp into stompbox.
    I wanted to follow your schematic . But I don't have any GE trs.
    So I decided to follow the original schematic.
    I used lt1054 and zener to make 21VDC.
    I used a spst(on/off) potentiometer as boost pot.
    I was satisfied with the result.
    Thank you for introducing interesting circuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great - that must have a lot of output running at a higher voltage.

      Delete
    2. Yes it is. It is really loud. But I can adjust it with volume knob. So it is okay.

      Delete