Wednesday, May 4, 2022

ANALOG MAN: Beano Boost

The Beano Boost is a simple variation on the humble Rangemaster treble booster - typical values for a Rangemaster, with a switched input cap for a broader boost range.  

The transistor choice will make an audible difference as a one-transistor germanium circuit running hot. It can be something other than an OC44, as they are costly, but try a few and see what you like.  

Quite a bit of info here on Analog Man's website 


ANALOG MAN BEANO BOOST - TAG BOARD LAYOUTS

ANALOG MAN BEANO BOOST - TAG BOARD LAYOUTS


Same again, but with a pot to control the gain - with the 5k pot at around 50% the series resistance is about 3.5k depending on component tolerances.  I think this is close enough to the stock 3.9k - you could use something a bit larger than 1k to get it closer, but it really doesn't make a massive difference.

This is handy for finding the sweet spot for just the right amount of grit in the boost.  





ORIGINAL BEANO BOOST LAYOUT

This is the layout used by Analog Man, which is the same as a vintage Rangemaster (excluding power filtering & 1m resistors).

Note that I've done it in two layers, as it's hard to show parts directly underneath each other in this format.  







VIDEO DEMO




18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting for layout of beano boost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Solderholic. I might try to replicate the same construction technique as Analog Man in another post.

      Delete
  3. Hello!!! im interested in building this but can you tell me what is the value of the electric cap? 47 uf or 10 uf? regards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello - good point. I better fix that up. 47u

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done!! i used 47r instead of the 100 but i heard a noise, maybe it is because i wired with negative ground, when i have a battery clip i'll change the wiring to see how it works. Thanks man!!!!

      Delete
    2. Hopefully that noise wasn’t an electrolytic popping. How long did you have it wired the wrong way?

      Delete
    3. i start to research because i want to build the small version, i saw in reverb plenty of images with the pedal open, i think it uses a 1n5817 and a 100 uf direct into the boss style power jack, i hope it works!!!

      Delete
    4. You can do it that way - just need a good power supply with isolated outputs. Still - be careful with you polarity.

      Delete
  5. Hi,Andy.
    I made beana boost by your layout.
    It's very wild treble booster,so cool.
    Thank you very well for your idea.
    Added Vertex Steel string.
    I post it on my web .
    http://solderholic.html.xdomain.jp/img/file112.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,Andy
    I just sent a beano boost I made with your layout to a friend of mine from high school and he loves it. He is a blues guitarist in France.
    He is looking for a beano boost layout with an adjustable bias circuit added, as germanium transistors change their sound depending on the temperature. Is it possible to add a bias adjustable circuit to your layout?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Solderholic - nice to hear from you. Would you like tag board, the same as your previous build, or are you OK with regular vero, or perhaps a point to point version? The D*A*M Red Rooster booster has a trimmer in place of the 3.9k resistor. I can adapt either one.

      Delete
  7. Thank you,Andy.
    I'd be happy to post "a point to point version".
    As My friend is a live session player ,
    I think he would like to use a potentiometer instead of a trimmer.
    I want to put "10k lin pot of beano boost + bias adjustable pot "on the pedal ,
    ,not a trimmer.
    Please do me a favor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it, and that makes more sense for the purpose you described.

      Delete
    2. Hello.

      I just want to test something on the breadboard before making a layout.

      Two choices.
      1) replace the 68k resistor with a 47k resistor and a 25k pot.

      2) replace the 3.9k resistor with a 5k pot

      Delete
  8. Thank you.
    I have little electrical knowledge
    and cannot make the proper choice.
    I respect your choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello.

      Option 2 worked best. However, it can be improved a little. I’ll post a layout shortly.

      I’m sure your choices would be very good.

      Delete
  9. Thank you.
    I look forward to seeing the new layout posted!

    ReplyDelete