Saturday, April 8, 2023

MKI TONE BENDER: Phenolic Board Template

I purchased a sheet of phenolic board locally to make some MKI boards, as I didn't want to pay $25 postage on a $3 board from the USA (postage to Australia is often a killer).  I couldn't find a template anywhere, so I reversed one from a product image online - I did make one slight change to the online product, as I didn't like the alignment of the resistors and capacitor on the righthand side.   

I think it's pretty close as a MKI template, even if it's a metric approximation.   I've built a few boards using this, and the spacing does work with 1/2 watt carbon composite resistors.


MKI TONE BENDER - PHENOLIC BOARD DIMENSIONS / TEMPLATE


MKI TONE BENDER - PHENOLIC BOARD DIMENSIONS / TEMPLATE



safety message:  wear breathing protection when cutting board, even if it's just a medical mask.

Link to MKI component table for variants




6 comments:

  1. As always, thank you! Do you happen to know the thickness of these phenolic boards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello - I’m using 2mm. I think the one I saw online was 1.6mm thick.

      Delete
    2. Alright, now I am waiting for mine to arrive. I found a seller in Germany whom is offering customising sizes. Each precut board for 1,50 € isn't that bad I'd say.
      If interested this is what I got: ttps://gie-tec.de/product/hard-paper/?lang=en

      Delete
    3. That sounds good. I think next time I’ll try the 1.6mm board. 2mm is fine, just think it could be a little thinner.

      Delete
  2. Thanks a lot, this will be very helpful. Now to find out how the best way to attach the board to the pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea - it just floats above the pots attached to the ground wires.

      Delete