Sunday, September 22, 2024

AMPRO: Vintage Projector Extension Speaker Cabinet

This is an extension speaker from a vintage projection system.  Thought I'd jot down a few notes, as I couldn't find much available on this version.  

I've seen a lot online in the brown case located in the USA (Ampro is from Chicago).  From what I can tell, these are usually loaded with Jensen or an Ampro house-branded speaker. Some of the US models even have a valve amplifier built in.  

The speaker in this enclosure is Goodmans Audiom 60, 12" 15 watt, 15 ohm, alnico magnet, made in England.  These were used in a number of guitar amps in the fifties and very early sixties, including the Vox AC30.

I can't find a date code on the speaker, so hard to say exactly when this one is from.

I plugged my alnico blue loaded AC15 into the cab, and it sounds amazing, so I'll leave it at that. 

Dimensions: 45cm wide, 50cm high, 27cm deep

Ampro speaker cabinet, Goodmans Audiom 60 speaker

Cast aluminium speaker grill cover, looks to have a light coat of hammered paint.


The colour pallette of the tolex on the box reminds me of an old typewriter that my mother used to have.  It's quite well put together, the handle is metal, not plastic and it's spring loaded, so it folds down when not in use.




Nice touch using a film spool to hold the speaker cable


The spool also looks to have a light coat of hammered paint.  The jack is closer to the older telephone style than the modern 1/4" jack.


Apart from the jack on the spool, there's a parallel speaker in / out


There's also some insulation inside, which I hope is a natural fibre.  

Ampro speaker cabinet, Goodmans Audiom 60 speaker

Ampro speaker cabinet, Goodmans Audiom 60 speaker

Ampro speaker cabinent, Goodmans Audiom 60 speaker


Goodmans Audiom 60 speaker specs


Goodmans Audium 60 advert






No comments:

Post a Comment